What is the Liebster Award?
This award is given from bloggers to new bloggers, with 200 followers or less. At this time of writing we have 132 followers on Dailey Adventurer’s Facebook page. Liebster Awards are given out only by nominations from fellow bloggers. We are thankful to have been nominated by Eat Sleep Shoot Travel Blog as one of her favorite new bloggers.
Eleven Questions That The Blogger Gives You
1. Why did you start your blog?
I (Valerie) initially wanted to start a blog after spending 2 weeks in Uganda in 2012 on a medical mission trip. I never got around to it though. I finally started in in 2013 as a way to keep track of our travels when we went on a 3 week road trip through: Oregon, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Flagstaff Arizona, Moab Utah and Idaho.
2. What is your favorite travel quote?
Our travel philosophy for this blog is based on this quote by Helen Keller, “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” It is not directly travel related but it applies to the way we want to live our lives.
3. Describe yourself in 3 words
Jake- Passionate, Outgoing & Charismatic
Valerie- Curious, Compassionate & Adrenaline Junky (that last one counts as one word lol)
4. Tea or Coffee?
Jake- Definitely coffee, I hate tea
Valerie- If I didn’t work night shift and have a dire need for the caffeine I would probably say tea. I really enjoy the taste of both though.
5. What is the most adventurous thing you’ve done?
Jake- Joining the Army when I was 20.
Valerie- My first time in an airplane was a personal flying lesson where I had to fly the plane! My second time in a plane was an 18+ hour flight from Seattle to Kampala, Uganda (thank goodness I discovered I enjoy flying!).
6. Book or Kindle?
Jake- Book. Definitely.
Valerie- I would like to say book, but the truth is I read more if it’s on a Kindle. The convenience of being able to read it on my phone or kindle outweighs the wonderful smell of books.
7. How do you stay creative?
Well as I write this blog post Jake is painting cabinets. We decided to refurnish our current kitchen cabinets instead of spending $6,000 to upgrade them. We enjoy refurnishing furniture and have made extra money for travel in selling pieces we had redone with chalk paint. That is pretty much the only way we are currently creative!
8. What is one skill you or hobby you have always wanted to learn?
Jake- Fly fishing.
Valerie- There are too many! I have always been interested in linguistics and have learned a little American Sign Language, Spanish and French but it would be great to become fluent in another language. Another is to learn the cello! I can play the piano, fiddle, mandolin and a little guitar; but there is something so deep and beautiful about the cello.
9. What is your dream job?
Jake- General Manager for the Green Bay Packers. If I have to pick a realistic dream job, I would say a sustainable farmer on 5,000 acres (maybe a big dream still haha).
Valerie- If I could get paid to travel the world (and make a difference along the way) I couldn’t think of anything better. Realistic dream job; I am currently leaning towards either a Nurse Anesthetist or Nurse Practitioner.
10. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Jake- Joseph in eastern Oregon. The location is between Valerie’s family in Washington and mine in Boise, Idaho. I would love to own a farm, it has distinct seasons, beautiful mountains, clear deep blue lakes and a perfect small town feel.
Valerie-Anywhere in Europe. There is so much history there and I would love to be able to explore different areas at my leisure.
11. What is your dream RTW (Round the world) trip itinerary?
I (Valerie) have spent hundreds of hours thinking about this! I could easily think of enough places to take up a few years of continuous travel. Jake enjoys short trips more though so it will probably be a few more years before I can convince him to take this leap 😉 For me though:
Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama
Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina
Fiji, New Zealand, Australia
Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, South Korea, Japan, China, Nepal, India
East/southern Africa Safari
Egypt, Jordan, Israel
Morroco and everywhere in Europe
Give 11 Random Facts About Yourself
1. We met on Match.com, Jake was a combat medic and Valerie was in nursing school at the time 🙂
2. We married 3 months and 2 days later after we were “matched” <3
3. We spent our first year of marriage apart, as Jake was deployed to Iraq 2 weeks after we married
4. Jake’s #1 place he wants to travel to is Alaska, Valerie’s is currently Turkey (although this changes almost daily!)
5. We have 2 dogs; a fox red lab named Daisy, and a beagle mix Huckleberry.
6. We (*cough* mostly Jake) are avid football fans. We bleed blue and orange out of one arm (Boise State Broncos) and green and gold out of the other (Green Bay Packers) **the husband was obviously responsible for this fact 😉
7. We are road trip fanatics! Some of our best memories are on the road, singing at the top of our lungs to the same 11 songs on repeat.
8. Valerie can’t keep a plant alive. Except for her poor Ikea bamboo, which half has managed to survive for 5 years!
9. Valerie is one of 9 children
10. Jake was born on the 4th of July at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
11. On our first date Jake fell out of the canoe and had to swim 15 minutes to shore, leaving Valerie to paddle it by herself.
1. Road Affair
**We struggled to find any other travel blogs to nominate who had 200 followers or less, so the list stops at 9. I researched all of these blogs listed above though and feel that they offer great and diverse content so you should check them out!
***Also, it was difficult to tell how many followers some blogs had so we went by the “like” count on their Facebook pages. Also, some were a little over 200 followers, figured it was close enough though 😉
11 Questions to Answer:
1. How many countries have you visited?
2. Scariest thing that happened while traveling?
3. What inspired you to start blogging?
4. What is your preferred transportation when traveling? i.e. car, train, airplane
5. What is the craziest thing you’ve eaten during your travels?
6. Dream destination?
7. Do you speak more than 1 language? If so, what?
8. Prefer to travel alone or with someone else?
9. What is the hardest part of traveling for you?
10. Do you keep a budget while traveling?
11. Do you have a favorite song that reminds you of travel?